There are so many reasons to renovate your mobile home that you might be left asking yourself, “why not?” You can add value to your house, modernize it and make it feel much more spacious.
But what changes should you make? With so many possibilities it can be challenging to narrow down which projects you’re going to tackle. It can help to decide on your goals first and then how you plan to achieve them.
You’re about to find out what some of the top single wide mobile home remodel ideas are. We are going to look at how you can renovate your home to update, upgrade and add space to your house.
Single wide mobile home remodeling ideas
Remodeling a single-wide mobile home offers an opportunity to enhance its functionality, aesthetics, and overall livability. Here are some remodeling ideas for a single-wide mobile home:
Open Floor Plan:
Create a more spacious and open feel by removing non-load-bearing walls and combining the living room, kitchen, and dining area. This can improve natural light flow and make the space appear larger.
Update the kitchen by replacing outdated cabinets, countertops, and appliances. Opt for modern finishes, such as stainless steel appliances and durable, easy-to-clean materials. Consider adding a kitchen island or breakfast bar for additional workspace and storage.
Transform the bathroom by replacing fixtures, installing a new vanity, and updating the flooring. Consider adding a tile backsplash, a stylish mirror, and upgraded lighting fixtures to elevate the space.
Upgrade the flooring throughout the mobile home to give it a fresh and modern look. Consider options such as laminate, vinyl plank, or hardwood flooring. These choices are durable, easy to maintain, and can significantly enhance the overall appearance of the home.
Improve the lighting in your single-wide mobile home by installing energy-efficient LED fixtures or adding additional lighting sources. Consider incorporating recessed lighting, pendant lights, or track lighting to brighten up the space and create a more inviting atmosphere.
Enhance the curb appeal by updating the exterior of your mobile home. Apply a fresh coat of paint, add decorative elements like shutters or window boxes, and consider installing new siding or skirting to give it a more modern and polished appearance.
Incorporate smart storage solutions throughout your home to maximize space and reduce clutter. Utilize built-in shelves, under-bed storage, or wall-mounted cabinets to optimize storage options and keep your belongings organized.
Energy Efficiency Upgrades:
Consider incorporating energy-efficient features into your remodeling project. Install energy-efficient windows, upgrade insulation, and consider adding solar panels to reduce energy consumption and lower utility bills.
Remember to check local building codes and regulations before undertaking any major remodeling projects. It’s also advisable to consult with professionals, such as contractors or interior designers, who have experience working with mobile homes. They can provide valuable insights and guidance to ensure that your remodeling ideas align with the structural limitations and requirements of your single-wide mobile home.
When you feel that the four walls are closing in on you, look to the outside. It is easy to forget that we can take advantage of the space both inside and outside your home. That’s why you should consider building a porch on the outside of your home.
By adding a deck, you can increase the square space of your home. Besides this, it can make your house a much more beautiful place to be. And don’t forget that it can add loads of value to your single wide.
Here are a few great ways you can use your porch:
- Create a barbeque area on the veranda. This way the deck can be practical too. You can do some of your cooking here while you hang out with your family and friends.
- You can put some seating on the porch. This can be the perfect place to just lounge and watch the world pass by. On top of this, you can get a table too so that you can enjoy your barbequed food right there.
- If you want to, you can even create some working space on the deck. Move your hobbies outside to save space inside.
If you have some building experience, you can attempt to do it yourself. Otherwise, you can surely hire a professional to help you out.
You could attach the porch to the back or the front of your mobile home whatever suits you better.
No doubt, one of the easiest single wide mobile home remodel ideas is to add a simple coat of paint. It is affordable, quick and you can DIY it in a cinch. Besides this, it doesn’t only make your home look great, it can increase the value too.
You can also create the illusion of more space with paint. An expert trick to make a room look bigger is to paint the walls with lighter and neutral colors. On the other hand, dark colors absorb light and make the room feel smaller and stuffy.
Just take a look at the picture above. The room is clearly small, but because the walls are white it feels quite roomy, and the walls appear farther away.
Light and neutral colors also work well when you want to prepare your home for sale.
You should note that the walls of mobile homes are typically covered with siding. You might need to take a few extra steps to paint them. But both the vinyl on gypsum wall panels or VOG panels that are typically used can be painted.
The following is a summary of the steps you need to take:
- Clean and wash the walls.
- Cover anything you don’t want to paint.
- Ceal any holes and replace broken panels.
- Apply some primer
- Now you can paint.
But painting isn’t the only thing you can do to your house’s walls. One of the unique features of mobile homes is their paneling.
This is a crucial part of the aesthetic that makes these types of properties iconic both inside and outside.
Let’s look at ideas of different ways you can change up the walls of your home:
- Wallpaper: A great alternative to paint is to get some new wallpaper for your wall. You can create a much more extensive range of appearances this way than with paint.
- Texturing: You can completely transform the appearance of your home by adding some texture to the walls. This can create a whole new dimension of depth. You can do this by installing textured wallpaper or panels. Nowadays there are also paints which can create this effect.
- Faux panels: You can create stunning aesthetics in your home by installing faux panels over the entire wall or just half of it. Wood and stone textures and appearances can bring natural elements into your house.
- Replacing: But if these aren’t enough for you, you could strip and replace the panels. You could install new paneling, or you can install drywall instead.
Any of these can help you to transform your mobile home. Besides making it look beautiful, it can increase the value of your home as well.
A big problem that most of us have in our homes is how we use our space. Besides often having too little, we waste what we do have.
One of the best ways you can address this is to look at your storage. A cursory glance will probably show you that you can pack and put away all your possessions much more effectively.
However, before you figure out some new storage solutions, it can be a great idea to declutter a bit first. Get rid of everything you don’t need or want anymore. You might be surprised at how much space this can open up. Your home will probably look more attractive too.
One way to improve how you use your rooms is to use your walls and even your ceiling to its full potential. For example, instead of using floor space for another cabinet, install a rack that you can hang from the ceiling.
Another solution can be to use furniture that has more than one purpose. For instance, buy couches or footstools to double up as extra storage. On some of them, you can lift up their cushions so that you can out things inside.
One storage solution deserves a more detailed look. These are built-ins. There are a variety of storage solutions that you can build into your mobile home. They are relatively permanent. That’s why they are fantastic additions and upgrades for any single wide.
From bookshelves to cabinets there are a variety of built-in storage solutions that you can install yourself.
In contrast to site-built homes you probably won’t be able to build these into the walls. This can reduce the structural integrity of your walls. But they can still be attached to the walls.
Replace the flooring
One of the more challenging remodel projects that you could tackle is to replace the flooring in your home.
Worn down floors can look pretty bad and can detract from the value of your single-wide. But more importantly, it can cause much more severe issues. It can even be dangerous when it causes soft spots and sagging areas. Not to mention, dirt and mold often accumulate in your carpet.
Mobile homes typically have subfloors with other flooring overlays like laminate or carpets.
The following is a short version of the process:
- First, you need to remove everything from the room. You should remove everything that stands on the floor or can get in the way. But the project can get very messy so remove anything that you don’t want to become dusty.
- Next, you will want to cut the flooring into smaller pieces. You will probably need to tackle wood or laminate with electric saws. And you can cut carpets into strips with carpet knives or something similar.
- You have to remove any trim that is attached to the flooring. On top of this, you need to take out any nails or screws that hold it in place.
- Now you can actually remove the different sections of the floor.
- After all of this, you will need to clean the subfloor and prepare it.
- Finally, you can install the new flooring.
Overall, the project is worth the effort. It can significantly increase the value and aesthetic appeal of your property.
One upgrade you can make to your mobile is to replace a few old fixtures. Unfortunately, everything can start looking worse for wear after time and use. So in this case, replacing small details can make a big difference.
These will typically be features of a house that you use a lot. Take a look at this list of fixtures that you might want to replace:
- Ceramic and porcelain furnishings in bathrooms get stained and discolored after a few years. So these will probably be one of the most important things you want to replace in your remodel. You want them to look bright and new.
- Faucets and other water fixtures can also have water stains. Sometimes they even rust. Replacing them is another small change you can make with excellent results.
- If you have an older mobile home, many of its features can look out of date. Some examples include knobs and handles on doors, cabinets, and windows. Why not replace them with ones that are more suited to your taste?
- You should consider replacing old fashioned clothes racks, towel racks, and hooks throughout your home.
By installing new features, you can radically change the overall feel and appearance of your rooms.
Light it up
Another of the best single wide mobile home remodel ideas is to change up the lighting throughout your home.
Even just putting in a new light bulb can impact the atmosphere and aesthetic of an entire room.
That is why one of the first things you should consider is the color of the light. Warmer colors can help to make a room cozier, so these work well in a bedroom. On the other hand, white lights can be the ideal choice for the kitchen and other workspaces.
Secondly, you should start paying attention to the natural light that comes into your house. Figure out if there is anything that blocks sunlight from coming in. You can use curtains to manage how much comes through. This can be a great way to make your home more eco-friendly and energy efficient too.
Besides this, you should spread light sources around the room to make sure that there aren’t any dark corners.
One interior decorating secret is to use mirrors. Put them in any room that feels a bit cramped. Their reflective quality can make any area feel much roomier.
You might need to hire an electrician or contractor if you want to install lights where there weren’t any before or if you need to make changes to the wiring in the house.
Knock’ em down
The construction of mobile homes means that they can be extremely flexible. You have loads of possible changes you can make when remodeling your home. One of these is that you can knock down, install new or even move walls in the house.
Walls are necessary to partition your property into different rooms, but some of them just get in the way.
Single wides usually have much less space than other homes. But by knocking down specific walls, you can create the illusion of space and spaciousness.
Manufacturers design most single wides with open plan living and dining rooms. The kitchen often connects to them too. But if your home has walls separating them, you might consider removing them.
Another option is to tear down the walls of extra bedrooms in the home. It can be better to create one big master bedroom than having two tiny rooms.
But you should note that you may need permits to do this.
Good as new
With one or more of these remodel ideas for a single wide mobile home you can transform your house to look brand new. So don’t despair if you feel that you need to make some changes in your life.
Don’t forget to pay attention to the complete picture you are trying to create. And in the end, make sure that you get each element right.