When the weather is mild and balmy the great outdoors always calls to us. So why not make the exterior of your house as comfortable as its inside? There are a variety of additions you could make to bring you and your family closer to nature.
Read on to get some ideas from our guide to creating the perfect outdoor area for your mobile home. In it, we discuss several possible additions to your exterior which will take your house to the next level.
Have you dreamt about sitting on your porch on a lazy afternoon and watching the world pass by?
Well, now you can by installing a deck to the outside of your mobile home. It can take shape in several ways. If you want you can go the route of a simple platform, or you can install a fully covered patio.
A porch is typically built right against the walls of the home opposite a door. It works best in front of the front door or the back door so that you have easy access. In fact, they might be built next to but not secured to the house. However, with manufactured homes, you can easily attach it to its walls.
Preferably, plan on building the deck on the same level as the floor of the house. If the home is raised, a platform on stilts or pillars can be the most economical option. Otherwise, you could lay a slab on the floor.
Wood is the most commonly used for raised decks. It is more economical and can be easier than laying concrete. On the other hand, cement is usually used for ground level porches.
For safety reasons, it’s better to install some sort of railing around the structure.
You can decorate and outfit the patio however you see fit. Install some seating and perhaps a table so that you can comfortably sit outside and enjoy the view.
If you have some time and experience, you can attempt to build it yourself.
Pros of a patio:
- Can increase the value of the home
- DIY project
- More seating areas
- Can potentially be moved with the home
- Useable all year
Cons of a patio:
- Relatively expensive
- Wood decks will need maintenance
- Some skill and experience is necessary to build
Most of us will have fond memories about the time spent with friends and family around a fire.
Installing your very own fire pit can make a fantastic addition to your outdoor area.
In its basic form, it should be a pit dug into the ground or made from stones in which you can make a fire.
First, you need to decide whether you will build the pit yourself or buy one that is ready made. Depending on the design you choose, this is usually uncomplicated and quick to complete.
As a simple solution, clear a circular area and lay down some bricks and gravel. You can then stack bricks or large stones around this.
One of the most essential aspects to consider is safety. You need to make sure that the fire can’t spread. Neither should a spark that flies out be able to find anything to ignite. There shouldn’t be anything overhead so clear away any tree branches or other flammable materials.
Jazz things up with seating around the fire and a grill for cooking.
There are three main ways you can ensure your safety:
- Clear the surrounding area of anything flammable like grass. And place any furniture out of its range.
- Put stones or masonry around the pit to stop the fire from spreading.
- Either buy an elevated container or raise yours from the ground by packing stones or laying concrete.
Pros of a firepit:
- Great DIY project
- Can buy a completed fire pit
- Useable all year round
- Creates a warm atmosphere
- Can be used to cook on
Cons of a firepit:
- Needs to be cleaned after use
- Fire hazard
- Space around it and over it needs to be cleared
A gazebo is a small building or even just a roof with a floor outside in a garden. They usually have open sides to allow you to enjoy the view. It is sometimes referred to as a pavilion.
These are excellent additions to any yard. It can be a great place to lounge and hide from the sun and rain while still sitting outside. And there are few better places to relax and enjoy a cup of tea.
Gazebos are generally freestanding constructions that you can place anywhere in your garden.
Most people will opt to go and buy a gazebo. The benefit of this is that you can avoid a lot of work. Another is that most of them don’t need to be assembled and can be transported in one piece.
However, if you are feeling up for a DIY, you could build one from scratch. Be warned that this can be a challenging project. Your first obstacle will be to make sure that the structure is sound. Because it isn’t enclosed with walls, you need to place proper support beams and pillars.
Besides this, you need to make sure that the gazebo is protected from the elements. For instance, the roof needs to be waterproof. And the pavilion needs to withstand weather conditions like wind and storms.
Turn your gazebo into a sanctuary with a lovely garden table with some seats so that you can drink your tea in style. Hang some fairy lights for added romance. You can even go all out with a hot tub.
Pros of gazebo:
- Can buy a complete one
- Provides shade
- Many of them can be moved without assembly
- Variety of materials and styles
- Has a floor and a roof
- Can run electricity to it
Cons of gazebo:
- Difficult to build
Garden or landscaping
So far, we have focused on specific projects and fixtures that you can install in your backyard. But you also have to consider the rest of the space.
Gardening and general landscaping are essential to creating the ideal outdoor area for you to enjoy.
It’s all about creating a garden that is a pleasure to look at. Gardening and landscaping can give you a brilliant backdrop for your children to play and for you to spend time outdoors.
You have the freedom to create your garden exactly as you please. It’s up to you what you want in it.
List of possible features:
- Big lawn
- Flower beds
- Fountains and ponds
- Hedges and shrubs
Pros of a garden:
- Increases the value of your home
- Beautiful to look at
- Variety of garden and landscaping options
- DIY project
- Improve the quality of the soil over time
- Can cover your entire outdoor area
Cons of a garden:
- Weekly and daily maintenance
- Expensive to set up
- Can be hard work
- Knowledge and experience beneficial
- Takes a lot of time
One of the latest trends in the United States is to grow your own fruits and vegetables. This is a revival of age-old ways of living.
You might be surprised at the range of vegetables that you can grow in your own backyard. Talk about farm to table, you can’t get much more local.
But how should you go about this?
- The beds: You need to decide where you want to create the beddings. They should be sheltered from strong winds but have access to the sun throughout the day.
- Prepare the soil: Next, you need to get the space ready for sowing. Whether you will plant them in pots or straight in the ground you want to make sure the soil is suitable. It shouldn’t be too hard or sandy. Work some compost in to make it more fertile and nutrient rich.
- Select plants: The crops you choose depend on the season and time of the year. If you want to, you can grow them from tiny seeds. But some nurseries will sell seedlings. This can be a more convenient way to get started.
- Planting: Dig small holes in the ground for each seed or seedling. Each hole should be a couple of inches deep. The space between the individual plants will depend on the size of the crop.
- Upkeep: Your work isn’t done yet. The plants will need to be watered regularly. On top of this, you need to check for weeds or pests periodically.
Pros of a vegetable garden:
- Lower your ecological impact
- Control over your food
- Can be relaxing to work in a garden
- A source of exercise
Cons of a vegetable garden:
- Takes time
- Can’t use year round
- Weekly or even daily maintenance
- Needs space
- Set up is expensive
One of the best possible additions to your home is a place to cook outside. While you could install a full working kitchen, we are going to focus on an American staple: the barbeque.
Barbeques are fantastic for more reasons than one. Not only can they be easily transported, but little installation and construction are also required. And of course, they give you the chance to create delicious meals.
There are a few different types of barbeques that you can invest in.
One of them is a gas grill. They aren’t tricky to use and can be very convenient. You only have to turn a knob to light it. Its best features are that you can regulate the temperature for even cooking.
But for some people gas just doesn’t add the same smoky taste that other options do. They are also pretty expensive to buy.
An alternative is charcoal grills. These are barbeques in which you need to light a fire with lumps of coals, briquettes or wood to cook on. This way of grilling can add tons of flavors to a meal. It is also less expensive to buy. However, you can’t control the heat, and the ash makes them messy to clean.
We recommend that alongside your BBQ, you build a counter for a work surface. If there is a covered area, some people even invest in the luxury of a dedicated fridge for their barbeque. Don’t forget a place to sit and share the meal.
Pros of a barbeque area:
- Delicious food
- Barbeque can be transported
- Useable year round
- Fun to use
- Great for parties and family gatherings
- Exposed to the elements
- Can attract critters and pests
Cons of a barbeque area:
- Fire hazard
- Children need adult supervision
- Needs to be cleaned after use
- Can get messy
- Expensive to set up
Designing your outdoor space is all about connecting nature. And which nature lover hasn’t dreamed of the romance of an outdoor shower?
These lovely fixtures consist of a showerhead and a space that is surrounded by a wall or structure for some privacy.
You can pretty much build the shower anywhere you want outside. Many people install it on their porch or against the walls of their mobile home. This way it’s much closer to the convenience and central plumbing of the house.
Fundamental factors to consider are:
- Protection from the elements
- Water resistance
- Water connection
- Dry spot for clothes and towels
- Place to dress
Ideally, they should be as useful as they are attractive. There are stunning styles that you can try. Some of the most attractive possibilities are those that smoothly combine the man-made with the natural. For example, some outdoor showers have ivy and other plants growing around them or even in and on them.
There are endless options available. You can customize your outdoor shower to match the style and atmosphere of your home.
Pros of an outdoor shower:
- Great place to shower
- Useful for washing dirty items outside
- Use little space
- Place to relax
- An excellent place to bath pets
- Can double up as a guest bathroom
Cons of an outdoor shower:
- Can’t be used year round
- Potentially messy
- Needs to be connected to plumbing
- Exposure to the elements.
- Could need the help of a plumber
Get some fresh air
Creating the perfect outdoor area gives you the chance to let your creativity reign free. You can make your personal style extend to the exterior of your mobile home so that you can have as much fun outside as inside.
Seize the day while the weather is warm to complete some projects in your garden and yard!
With good reason, one of the most popular additions is a porch. If you are all about chilling on your deck, look at these 5 porch designs for mobile homes. And if you are not sure which direction to go, here are a few more fantastic inspirational ideas for mobile home porches.