The Ultimate DIY Bedroom Makeover To Improve Resale Value
Are you looking for quick ways to improve the resale value of your mobile home? If so, one of the best ways to do this is is to perform a makeover.
Much of the sale value of a house depends on how it is perceived. You can easily change this by renovating it room-by-room. One of the first features that buyers consider is their bedrooms.
That’s why we are going to cover the ultimate DIY bedroom makeover to improve resale value. We are going to look at specific things you can change to help you make the sale.
Before anything else, you need to clean your home in spring cleaning style thoroughly. You need to tackle every crack and every corner.
Any dirt or dust can seriously put off potential buyers. Not cleaning is a major mistake that some sellers make.
So, start off by cleaning the bedroom. Here are some specific steps you can take:
- Dusting: First, you can dust all the surfaces in your home. Use a microfiber cloth or any other wet cloth to which any fine particles will stick. This includes light fixtures, window sills, and shelves.
- Vacuum: After, you need to vacuum the room. Move the bed and any other furniture and clean underneath and behind too.
- Wash: Next you can move on to washing the floors. Try to clear away any grime or debris from cracks in tiles or flooring. But if the room is carpeted, you might want to consider renting a carpet cleaner machine.
- Windows: You want the windows to be so clean that they shine. Use specialized glass cleaners and use soft cloths to make sure they don’t scratch the surface.
- Other: You need to clean anything else that is dusty, stained or dirty. Take away any dishes and clear out trash cans.
This isn’t only essential for your bedroom but your whole house.
Now you should move on to clearing out any clutter in the bedroom. When it comes to staging a house, minimalist is the way to go.
You can declutter any bedroom in a few easy steps. Sort, organize and pack away.
Usually, your bedroom is your sanctuary. Therefore, it’s often filled with personal objects like pictures and so on. But it’s better to pack this away when you are preparing your home for showings.
You can leave a few choice items out but choose very carefully. In essence, don’t leave out anything that is unnecessary or that might look unattractive.
This includes appliances like hair dryers. Put them in the cupboard or wardrobe or create some space to pack them neatly.
You also need to put away your clothing items. Don’t forget those shoes lying around.
Once these first steps are done, you can move onto the more exciting parts of the makeover. This is where you can start getting creative.
It can be helpful to decide on a theme for the bedroom. This can be an idea or look that ties the whole room together.
When you are preparing your house for sale, remember that it isn’t your taste that matters. Instead, you have to worry about the preferences of potential buyers.
So when choosing a look don’t go with something too far out or elaborate. People want to be able to imagine themselves in a possible new home. Sleek and straightforward works best.
A few possible themes that you can choose for a bedroom is:
- Modern: Contemporary designs typically use few colors, little decor, and geometric shapes. Overall, it should be minimalist.
- Beach house: Few things are as calming and peaceful as the seaside. Perhaps that is why this works brilliantly as a theme for a bedroom. This usually involves colors like white and light blue together with suitable decor.
- Nautical: One theme that can look fantastic is nautical. It also evokes the sea. The primary colors you can use are dark red and blue mixed with white. You can use stripe-like patterns too.
- Neutrality: Another popular theme for a show home is a predominantly neutral one. There are a variety of shades that you can choose from like cream, white and ivory.
- Country: Few things feel as cozy as a cottage. So it can make an excellent style for a bedroom. To achieve the look you can use wood and textures and fixtures of wrought iron.
These designs suit all bedrooms. You can use them in master suites, children’s rooms or guest rooms. These themes can work for everyone.
As you can see, an essential part of any makeover is the use of colors.
One thing that all these styles have in common is their use of neutral shades. And for a good reason. Experts consider these to be the ideal choice when you are trying to sell a home. Not only will it help you to get it sold, but it can also increase the value.
By using these shades, you can help make the room appear cleaner and neater.
The following are some of the best neutral colors to choose from:
After neutrals, blues are the second most desired colors for bedrooms. It can be a great idea to combine the two palettes.
Importantly, you need to choose the right combinations of colors to go together. They need to complement each other. You can match similar shades. Or you can carefully select colors which contrast without clashing. One way to do this is to make the primary color for the room neutral and only including pops of color like blue.
Remember that you need to incorporate these palettes into all aspects of the room from the linens to the furniture to the walls.
Bed and board
Obviously, the centerpiece for any bedroom is the bed and its furniture. Therefore, it’s essential that this fits in with the complete look of the space too.
You need to consider the appearance of its base and the headboard and baseboard.
Stands made of wrought iron can fit perfectly into a cozy cottage style. In the case of showing a home, you might want to paint them white or another neutral color to make them look more sleek than rustic.
For the other themes, wood can work better. You can paint these with neutral colors too. Alternatively, you can go with furnishings made from wicker.
It’s crucial that you make sure your bedroom set isn’t very ornamental. You want to keep it neat and straightforward. If the bed board has been damaged, try to repair and hide visible disfigurations if you’re unable to replace it. The buyer probably isn’t buying your furniture but those flaws can still stand out or leave a negative impression in buyers’ memories.
Bedding and linen
Next, it’s time to move on to the bed linen. A safe choice is to choose bedding that is either neutral or pastel.
They can have patterns, but these shouldn’t be too overwhelming or too colorful. This can detract from the peaceful atmosphere of the room. If you want some patterns, consider stripes.
Many would recommend that you buy brand new bedding when you are staging the home. Again, even if you don’t sell the house furnished, impressions are critical.
Finally, you can liven up the bed by adding some beautiful pillows or throws. This can help the room look much more comfortable and welcoming.
Another factor to consider is the curtains in the bedroom.
Typically, you would consider functional features, such as the weight of the drapes or how they can be washed. But to increase resale value aesthetics should be the critical concern.
In case they come across outdated, you shouldn’t choose curtains with too many frills or lace. Ones made of shiny material can potentially look too showy.
The specific color or pattern that you go with depends on the style of the room. But here are a few tips that can help:
- Don’t use dark colors. You want the space to look light rather than gloomy.
- Take some measurements and buy drapes that will hang to the floor.
- Lightweight material like linen and cotton can help to create a relaxed atmosphere.
- Choose a color that is represented somewhere else in the room as well.
While your mobile home is being staged, you should open any curtains or drapes. This will help make the room look airy and let the sunlight flood in. If necessary, you should tie them back using matching ribbons or something similar as long as it looks neat.
Walls and skirting
Nothing can make a home look as new as a fresh coat of paint.
As has been mentioned, blue and neutral colors work the best in a bedroom. This is true for the walls as well. If you want to use blue, go with pastel and light shades. No matter which palette you decide on, white trim should match it perfectly.
Generally, repainting will add value to any home. It’s a vital step in preparing a home for sale. Luckily, it’s cheap and easy to do.
This can be an effective way to get rid of any dirt or discoloration. While you’re at it, seal any holes or cracks on the wall.
Here is a step-by-step guide to painting any room like a pro.
Lighting plays a crucial role in creating the right atmosphere for any room. So you want to make sure that the bedroom in question is well lit.
An expert trick is to use several sources to make layers of light in the room. Three types that can help you to create this effect are:
- Ambient lights aimed at lighting up the entire space. These are typically mounted on the ceiling.
- Task lighting to brighten up workspaces or other necessary spots. In a bedroom, you can put lamps on bed tables, dressing tables or next to mirrors.
- Accent lights to highlight features in the room, like decor and art.
Overall, it’s essential to buy bulbs that give off a warmer tone.
One of the last aspects you can work on is the decor in the bedroom. The general principle of keeping it simple remains true here.
Don’t put out items that are too eccentric or unusual no matter how much you love them. And don’t overcrowd the space. Instead, select a few beautiful decorations.
Buy some glass or ceramic vases for flowers. Put them on one or two surfaces in the room.
Another excellent idea is to display some mirrors. They can help you to create the illusion of spaciousness.
Preparing the floors of the bedroom can potentially be one of the biggest jobs of the makeover.
Your most prominent concern here should be that they look neat and well kept. If the floors are wood, you should sand them and apply some new varnish.
With any type of flooring, you should repair scratches.
Unfortunately, it can take a lot of work. But if there are cracked or broken panels or tiles, consider replacing them.
Wood, laminated panels and carpets are ideal for bedrooms.
If you want the room to appear more cozy and warm, place some fat and plump rugs on the floor.
Ask yourself what do you find essential in a bedroom?
Chances are that one of these features is adequate storage. Many potential buyers have crossed a home of their list because there isn’t space to put their things.
Hence a high-value addition to any bedroom is more storage space. Generally, people will look for a place to put their clothing, hang robes or towels, and shoes. That’s why wardrobes and closets are crucial.
Besides this, you should install some shelves for decorative items, like vases.
For the time being, the additional space will help you to declutter the home while you show it.
Other tips on staging
The following are some general tips on showing a home that can be applied throughout your house including the bedrooms:
- Personal accents: Because you want potential buyers to envision themselves living there you shouldn’t keep too many personal effects on display. This includes family photographs.
- Deodorizing: Before you stage a home you need to get rid of any unpleasant odors. Bad smells can dramatically decrease the value of a property.
- The whole picture: Value will increase as you renovate specific rooms. But you can only maximize the effectiveness of these renovations if you make the home pleasant as a whole. To do this, you need to extend themes and palettes throughout the house.
- Fresh flowers: When it’s time to show your property, fresh flowers will add the final touch your home needs.
Whenever people look for a new home, bedrooms are one of the features they pay the most attention to. This means that renovating it can add significant value to your property. Hopefully, our guide to a DIY bedroom makeover can help you create the ideal space to show off to potential buyers.
There is a lot to learn about selling mobile homes. For additional help, read our article on how to get the best deal for your house. And before your first showing, take a look at this checklist for getting your home ready to sell.